Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] When is Wireshark 1.6 being released ?

From: Stephen Fisher <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 22:09:56 -0700
On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 06:11:56PM -0800, Michael Lum wrote:

> The reason I ask is that I submitted a patch to updated the EVRC
> protocol dissector last September.
>
> It was a trivial update and it was put on the 1.5 branch as far as I
> can tell.
>
> Now why would that happen ?

Take a look at the LifeCycle wiki document (linked from the roadmap):

  http://wiki.wireshark.org/Development/LifeCycle

Basically, we're currently putting a new even numbered (stable) release
once a year around the Sharkfest conference.  The odd numbered releases
are development (unstable), currently 1.5.  Only bug fixes go into the
current stable releases (1.4.x) and only more severe ones into the older
stable (1.2.x).  New features stay in 1.5.x and will become 1.6.x this
year around Sharkfest (then the development branch will become 1.7.x).