Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] ASN.1 dissector makefiles under Windows

From: Anders Broman <a.broman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2011 07:11:48 +0100
Jeff Morriss skrev 2011-01-05 04:26:
On 01/04/2011 09:17 PM, Ed Beroset wrote:
I notice that when I modify an ASN.1 dissector source code file, that it
fails to cause the Windows makefile to rerun asn2wrs. Is there a reason
for this? Is there a reason I shouldn't attempt to address this and
submit a patch? In searching around, I haven't found any other
references to this problem nor any mention of attempts to address it.

The ASN.1 dissector generation hasn't been considered ready for "prime time" yet (or at least that's what I heard a while ago). As such, the (generated) ASN.1 dissector code is checked into source control.

A side effect of this is that if modify the ASN.1 source, you need to do make the 'copy_files' target (in the ASN.1 dissector's directory) to get the dissector generated and copy it into epan/dissectors/ .
Or you can run nmake -f makefile.nmake "dissector name (s) " or "per" or "ber" or "all" in the asn1 directory.
(see Makefile.nmake).
Anders