Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] ett

From: Steve Karg <skarg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 13:27:08 -0600
Hello Andreas,

> What stands 'ett' for? I found it as "subtree array index", but can it
> somehow proniounced? Is it an abbreviation?

Gerald posted last year about ett on this list:

<Gerald>
I _think_ it originally stood for "Ethereal tree type". The first
implementation used a set of #defines in packet.h, like so from revision 2:

/* Tree types.  Each dissect_* routine should have one for each
  add_subtree() call. */

#define ETT_IEEE8023      0
#define ETT_ETHER2        1
#define ETT_LLC           2
#define ETT_TOKEN_RING    3
 [ ... ]

I think "expansion tree type" is a much better definition.
</Gerald>

Best Regards,

Steve
--