Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] wireshark capture shows packets not chronologically captured

From: Stephen Fisher <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 10:53:47 -0700
On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 01:10:54PM -0800, Guy Harris wrote:

> Is there no way to tell Linux to arrange that packets be delivered to
> a PF_PACKET socket in time stamp order?  If not, is there any way to,
> at least, provide some mechanism to allow libpcap to sort the packets
> in time stamp order before it delivers them?

That thread was 8 years ago, and a couple replies down, Alan Cox said:
"You should never need it. Ethernet, hubs, switches, routers, internet
backbones etc will all cause packet re-ordering. You should also expect
the percentage of re-ordered frames on the net to rise and rise." *sigh*

The first reply says to use "IRQ Affinity," which appears to allow you
to specify which CPU(s) are allowed to process certain interrupt
requests.