Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Missing expert info

From: Andreas <AndreasSander1@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2010 10:49:43 +0100
Am 10.12.2010 15:33, schrieb Christopher Maynard:
Andreas<AndreasSander1@...>  writes:

I found an inconsistency with the expert info. While expert infos of
severity ERROR are reported, these are not displayed in the summary dialogs.

Please file a bug report for this ... preferably with a capture file exhibiting
the incorrect behavior attached to the report.  Thanks.

I detected the problem with the expert_info reporting. The dissector DLL has to report the expert info already when the file is loaded. At this point of time the dissect function is called with tree==NULL. But the dissector in question delayed the expert_info until the tree must be populated.

So it looks like that it is bad practice to check for tree==NULL. The proto_tree_add_... functions will check for tree==NULL by itself. The delayed dissection was done for improved speed. ;-(

--
Andy