Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Missing expert info
From: Andreas <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2010 10:49:43 +0100
Am 10.12.2010 15:33, schrieb Christopher Maynard:
Andreas<[email protected]>  writes:

I found an inconsistency with the expert info. While expert infos of
severity ERROR are reported, these are not displayed in the summary dialogs.
Please file a bug report for this ... preferably with a capture file exhibiting
the incorrect behavior attached to the report.  Thanks.
I detected the problem with the expert_info reporting. The dissector DLL
has to report the expert info already when the file is loaded. At this
point of time the dissect function is called with tree==NULL. But the
dissector in question delayed the expert_info until the tree must be
populated.
So it looks like that it is bad practice to check for tree==NULL. The
proto_tree_add_... functions will check for tree==NULL by itself. The
delayed dissection was done for improved speed. ;-(
--
Andy