Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Wireshark-commits] rev 35213: /trunk/docbook/wsdg_src/ /tru

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 11:03:36 -0500
On 12/18/2010 06:13 AM, Joerg Mayer wrote:
On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 09:53:09PM -0500, Bill Meier wrote:
It seemed like a good idea to me.  I find trying to read
README.developer rather tedious, altho I do agree that a plain text file
can be grep'ed and etc.

If there's feeling that README.developer should be left as is, then I
can certainly revert the changes.

If someone is willing and able to create a readable ascii version from the
docbook (as proposed in another mail to this thread), then docbook
integration would be my preferred solution as it provides one source where
to search for programming information. Right now I use wsdg rarely because
of its format.

+1.

I never use the wsdg. I used it once or twice for the how-to-set-up-a-win32-build instructions and I looked at it a couple of times after that when reviewing patches against it.

I use README.developer on a fairly regular basis.

(optionally followed by a bunch of "n"s) gets me what I want pretty quickly. I can even then cut-n-paste a sample function call (for example) into whatever file I'm editing, all without touching the mouse.

I wouldn't mind too much if the text-only version was generated, though it might make it slightly less likely that I'd edit it.