Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Does libwsutil need to be its own library?

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 18:12:49 -0800

On Dec 3, 2010, at 5:01 PM, Stephen Fisher wrote:

I was just curious.  I rarely install Wireshark on machines I do
development on (I run it from the build directory), so when I installed
it for a change that the little ~22k libwsutil.so.0 was installed :).  I
was thinking of it from more of a "do any non-Wireshark programs really
need the wsutil shared library out there?" perspective compared to
libwireshark that I know other programs utilize and libwiretap that is
possibly used by other programs as well.  Thanks.

I think any non-Wireshark programs that link with either libwireshark or libwiretap also, in effect, link with libwsutil, as they have to, given that, as I remember, both libwireshark and libwiretap call routines in libwsutil.  (They might not *explicitly* link with libwsutil, as I think most if not all UN*Xes support linking shared libraries with other shared libraries, and if our libwireshark and libwiretap are blinked with libwsutil, linking with libwireshark or libwiretap is sufficient to cause libwsutil to be linked in at startup time, but they still *depend* on libwsutil.)