Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Reassembly of messages

From: Stephen Fisher <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 09:51:47 -0700
On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 09:13:20AM +0100, news.gmane.com wrote:

> I want to reassemble messages in a TCP stream. I use the function
> tcp_dissect_pdus for this purpose. This works fine to populate the
> packet details tree. But what is the best way to collect all message
> summaries and write it to the packet list INFO column?

I'm not sure if I understand your question correctly.  TCP reassembly
will gather the entire stream and present it to your dissection code all
at once.

> I have seen that my dissect function has been called multiple times
> for a specific packet. What is the best point of time to evaluate
>   check_col(pinfo->cinfo, COL_INFO)
> and put the summary to packet list info column?

Typically you don't worry about that and just do it every time.  If
necessary, you can check the pinfo->fd->flags.visited variable, which is
changed from FALSE to TRUE after the first time a packet is dissected.