Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Clean up the "--enable-threads" configure option?

From: Anders Broman <a.broman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 00:01:34 +0100
Michael T�xen skrev 2010-11-23 21:10:
On Nov 23, 2010, at 8:59 PM, Gerald Combs wrote:

Anders Broman wrote:
Hi,
Reading up on treads I came across the following
_http://www.wireshark.org/lists/wireshark-users/200906/msg00209.html_

And _http://www.wireshark.org/lists/wireshark-dev/200611/msg00199.html_
we used to have 2 threads in the old ethereal for a short period. one
thread for the main application and a second thread that was dedicated
to only
update/redraw teh statistics taps once every few seconds. this did
cause a quite significant degradation in performance/speed of ethereal
which is why>it was removed :-(

However it looks like dumpcap uses threads on Windows would it be
beneficial for dumpcap to use threads on other systems as well?
Anyway it sounds like the tread code in Main.c should be removed -
right? Then threads could be enabled by default(?)
Dumpcap uses threads on Windows to get around the inability to use
select/WaitForSingleObject on a pipe. It might be beneficial to have
common code on other systems.
dumpcap will use threads to support capturing on multiple interfaces
simultaneously. I'll implement it soon, Irene is already working on
changing the GUI to support it...

Best regards
Michael
Which leaves the code in main.c (tap stuff) - should that be removed?
Regards
Anders