Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Problems with dissecting fragmented packets

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 12:41:19 -0500
Yosi Saggi wrote:
Hi ,

I'm writing a dissector for our LTE PHY packets. I have started working on fragmented packets. These are Ethernet packets that are fragmented with some proprietary limitation. Nevertheless we have a PI header (under the Ethernet header) that is always there in any fragment. The PI header contains what I thought is sufficient data for the fragment functions such as: size - the size of the PI message payload, Fragment (full, first, mid and last for indication as in what part of the fragmented packet are we) and sequence - message sequence index. I have used the "fragment_add_seq_check()" and the "process_reassembled_data()" functions to reassemble the packets but with no success. I get no reassembled packets. Only an indication on the fragments. I followed the "How to reassemble split packet" section 9.4 in the developers guide. I also went through the code over and over and see no problem. It seems that there is no use for the "LAST" indication of the fragmentation. After the last one I should have got a reassembled packet.

I'm no reassembly expert, but are you sure the code you quoted is called even when (!tree)? The reassembly code only works on the first pass (when tree is NULL).