Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Filter for generated items

From: Helge Kruse <Helge.Kruse-nospam@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 18:16:52 +0100
Am 16.11.2010 21:45, schrieb Stephen Fisher:
On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 09:13:57PM +0100, Helge Kruse wrote:

But I cannot convince anybody to update there 1.2.x installations to
1.4.x.

So I must now decide if I have to provide a DLL compile with the 1.2.x
header and libs and an additional DLL compiled with the 1.4.x header
and libs. I don't think about the development branches (1.3.x).

Yes, then making DLL of your plugin for version 1.2.x and 1.4.x would be
the way to go.

I doubt that this is true. I started to compare these versions and found some differences. At least two seam to be important.

1) The new libWireshark.DLL does not export all functions that had been exported by the version 1.2.3. Well, most of these functions are for internal Wireshark use only. But what, if my dissector calls calculate_crc32c?

2) There are some structures that have been changed. There may be also some Wireshark-internal-only structures. But Wireshark passes a pointer to the packet_info to each dissector. The packet_info member fd points to the frame_data structure. This structure layout has changed,it's just incompatible. I checked this by running 1.4.1 in the debugger; the timestamps are different.

Fortunately my dissector needs only the ordinal number of the frame in the capture what can be found in front of the change. So it works -- by accident.

Regards,
Helge