Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Decode As Option

From: "Will Barker" <will.barker@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 11:32:12 -0000

I’m trying to determine why the “Decode As” context menu option

1)       is sometimes grayed out

2)       does not present all the available protocols in its list

Is there an override possible somehow?

If the user is certain that protocol FOO starts at offset X then it would be good to have a way of forcing that protocol decode at that point (regardless of the selected position in the packet etc.). Of course, as with the existing “Decode As” support, if the user got it wrong then the decode won’t work but this fallback approach (without the need for code change) does cater for those occasions where the required dissection is not implemented or is wrong etc. What would we need to change/be extended to enable this?

Thanks

Will