Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Filter for generated items

From: Stephen Fisher <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 11:16:42 -0700
On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 11:05:09AM -0700, Stephen Fisher wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 06:37:32PM +0100, Helge Kruse wrote:

> > Is it guaranteed that a 1.2.x plugin runs with Wireshark 1.4.x?
>
> Jaap and Joerg are referring to the same stable branch, so any newer
> version of 1.2.x than the one you compiled with (or newer 1.4.x than
> the one you compiled it with).

This is because the stable branches are split from the development
version at a point in time and then only important bug fixes are copied
from the latest development version to the stable branch.

The development version 1.1 was turned into 1.2 and then development
jumped to be version 1.3.  Version 1.4 is not based on 1.2, but rather
the development 1.3 version.  After 1.4 was released, the development
version number jumped ahead again to be 1.5.  More information can be
found at http://wiki.wireshark.org/Development/LifeCycle and perhaps a
simple drawing would help on that page.