Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] TCP reassembly when packet capture size limited

From: Stephen Fisher <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 10:58:42 -0700
Should TCP reassembly be done when the packet size was limited during
capture?  Richard Scheffenegger sent a message to the wireshark-users
mailing list with this error that he's seeing:

Warn Dissector bug, protocol TCP, in packet 6: reassemble.c:929: failed
assertion "tvb_bytes_exist(tvb, offset, frag_data_len)"

This is because his capture file (sent to me privately due to size) is
limited to 200 bytes per packet.  The HTTP dissector is trying to
reassemble a response, but it fails when it runs out of data because
most of the repose data isn't in the packet capture.

Should we disable TCP reassembly when the packet size is limited or have
another mechanism to detect if enough data was captured to reassemble
the whole message?