Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] usbmon: size of different fields?

From: "Maynard, Chris" <Christopher.Maynard@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 11:25:11 -0500
Not sure why I don't see this message posted on gmane?

Anyway, I see you received a few responses already elsewhere:
-> http://lkml.org/lkml/2010/11/9/243
-> http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-usb/msg38480.html

But I don't think those responses are technically correct.  With the C standard, there are no guarantees except for relative sizes, ie., char <= short <= int <= long, although if the OS is POSIX-compliant, then you can sleep well at night knowing CHAR_BIT is defined as 8 in <limits.h>.  But there's no guarantee that every platform is POSIX-compliant or that the char size is guaranteed to be 8 bits on non-POSIX-conforming platforms, although I can't imagine that Wireshark runs today on any platform where that isn't the case.

As for int, I suspect that most platforms have 32-bit ints, but again, there are no guarantees.

- Chris
P.S. The endian-ness is not an issue because of the libpcap header's magic number.