Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Announcing sharktools: matshark and pyshark

From: "Babikyan, Armen - 0663 - MITLL" <armenb@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 20:57:02 -0400
  Hello,

[Sorry for the cross-post, but I feel this announcement is relevant to
both Wireshark users and Wireshark developers]

I'd like to announce the GPLv2 public release of "matshark" and
"pyshark" - collectively "sharktools" - to the Wireshark community.
Matshark and Pyshark are tools that integrate Wireshark's packet
dissection engine into the Matlab and Python programming environments,
respectively.

The current release of sharktools, 0.1.5, works with:

* Most - if not all - versions of Wireshark from 0.99.5 to 1.4.0
* A variety of recent versions of UN*X-like operating systems (Ubuntu
10.04.1 LTS, RedHat Enterprise Linux 5, Fedora Core 12, MacOSX 10.6)
* Recent versions of Python (tested as far back as Python 2.4)
* Recent versions of Matlab (tested as far back as Matlab R2007a).

No effort has been made to port the tool to Windows, or to integrate it
with other programming languages (e.g. Perl), but these options should
be possible without too much effort.  Let me know if these options are
of interest to you.

The tool is available here:

   http://www.mit.edu/~armenb/sharktools/

A github-based project is forthcoming, unless this functionality finds
itself into Wireshark first...hint, hint.  :-)

Of course, please let me know if you have any
questions/problems/suggestions/flames/etc.  Bug reports/patches are also
welcome.

Thanks!

Armen

--