Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Dissecting TCP PDUs

From: Alexander Koeppe <format_c@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 22:06:32 +0200
Christopher Maynard schrieb:
> Alexander Koeppe <format_c@...> writes:
>
>> I have seen captures where e.g. several NetBIOS PDUs has been dissected
>> as an individual branch of the protocol tree. Those PDUs aren't
>> displayed under the TCP tree as mentioned above.
>
>> Another protocol e.g. FIX (which is quite new), is being dissected as an
>> individual branch of the protocol tree AND under the TCP tree as well.
>>
> You are likely looking at a reassembled FIX packet since FIX relies on
> tcp_dissect_pdus(), whereas NetBIOS does not.  The part under TCP is just the
> unreassembled segment data of just one segment, but the part in its own
> individual branch is all the reassembled segments that comprise the FIX packet.
>
> There might also be a difference because FIX registers as a TCP heuristic
> dissector whereas NetBIOS does not.  You might post a small capture file of each
> that depicts what you describe.

The FIX packet capture is from Bug #5285 and has the URL
https://bugs.wireshark.org/bugzilla/attachment.cgi?id=5278 .

The NetBIOS packet capture is from Bug #5289 and has the URL
https://bugs.wireshark.org/bugzilla/attachment.cgi?id=5286 .

Don't be confused if your wireshark crashes. On #5285 I'm currently
working on and #5289 is next on my target list.

Thank you for your explanation. Continuing investigating also led me to
the same conclusion, that the reason is the way the FIX protocol
dissects itself.