Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Possible New Option for Tshark?

From: Stephen Fisher <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 09:17:47 -0600
On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 08:45:33AM -0500, Craig Votava wrote:

> My tool is a real-time GUI for analyzing trace output. When the user
> clicks on a message, I want a selected portion of the ASCII tshark
> output (the meat of the message without the IP headers) slapped up in
> a window quickly.

Have you taken a look at rawshark, which comes with Wireshark?  I've
never worked with it, but figured that I would let you know it exists in
case it could be helpful.  From rawshark.c:

/*
 * Rawshark does the following:
 * - Opens a specified file or named pipe
 * - Applies a specfied DLT or "decode as" encapsulation
 * - Reads frames prepended with a libpcap packet header.
 * - Prints a status line, followed by fields from a specified list.
 */