Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Building pruned-down version of tshark

From: Tharaneedharan Vilwanathan <vdharani@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 11:45:29 -0700
Hi All,

I am new to wireshark development and this mailing list.

I am porting wireshark to an embedded platform. I managed to cross-compile wireshark (tshark, mainly) and run it on the 32-bit PowerPC target. However, the executables and shared libraries take about 80MB. Please see the file sizes below:

dharani$ du -c -B 1024 `find . -type f`
12      ./tshark
948     ./.libs/lt-tshark
77540   ./epan/.libs/libwireshark.so.0.0.1
912     ./wiretap/.libs/libwiretap.so.0.0.1
12      ./test.pcap
76      ./wsutil/.libs/libwsutil.so.0.0.0
79500   total <<<<----
dharani$

I am trying to reduce the size. I would like to explore various ways like remove support for some protocols (USB, ATM, etc) and do static build, etc. I did see some pointers related to this but it looks like they are outdated.

So here are my questions:

- Is there an updated patch file for the latest version with which I can remove unwanted protocols from wireshark? If so, I can use it.
- Any suggestions on how I can build a static version? Because the shared library takes lot of space and I believe there may be many unwanted functions.

Request any pointers/suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Regards
dharani