Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Possible New Option for Tshark?

From: Mark Landriscina <mlandri1@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 10:33:57 -0400
Using -T with pdml/psml would probably be the best approach if you want text output. However, if that doesn't work for you, then you could consider doing what some programs like SCAPY do. Save your packets in a temp pcap file and pass the file name to your tshark child process when you are spawning it.  When tshark finishes reading all the packets in your temp file and writes all the dissection data to wherever you are sending it (assuming a pipe), tshark will close and your read will stop blocking. If you want to dissect more packets later on, just respawn another tshark child process.

I've done something similar in Python and it works just fine. If you know Python, download and take a look at SCAPY's wireshark function.

Regards,
Mark