Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Possible New Option for Tshark?

From: Stephen Fisher <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 22:43:50 -0600
On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 03:29:36PM -0500, Craig Votava wrote:

> I wrote a Perl script that feeds pcap data to an instance of tshark
> running in a child process, then takes the decoded output to present
> to the user.
>
> The problem is that I don't know when tshark is done sending output
> back to me.

How about using "pdml" or "psml" with the -T option.  From the tshark
man page:

  pdml Packet Details Markup Language, an XML-based format for the
  details of a decoded packet. This information is equivalent to the
  packet details printed with the -V flag.

  psml Packet Summary Markup Language, an XML-based format for the
  summary information of a decoded packet. This information is
  equivalent to the information shown in the one-line summary printed by
  default.