Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] XML dictionary parsing with flex/bison

From: Hadriel Kaplan <HKaplan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2010 12:40:17 -0400
Howdy,
I'm thinking of adding XML dictionary file support to the IPFIX dissector, similar in concept to the Diameter dictionary.  It appears Wireshark's Diameter dictionary reader uses flex/bison to parse the XML, and I'm curious if that's what we're supposed to use for such things in Wireshark?  I'd prefer to just use Glib's GMarkupParser, or libxml2 which I think is included in wireshark builds (right?), because I'm not familiar with flex/bison or lex/yacc.  But if there's some specific reason flex/bison should be used, I can go learn how to use them.

Is there a reason for using flex/bison for that?

Thanks,
-hadriel