Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Unable to run wireshark, tshark or dumpcap from the build di

From: Christopher Maynard <Chris.Maynard@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 14:38:42 +0000 (UTC)
> Looks like your glib is attempting to inline g_string_append_c()

Thanks Jeff.  Now I understand what's going on while stepping through the code
in gdb.  I was stumbling through the source online at
http://git.gnome.org/browse/glib/tree/glib/gstring.c, but now I see the inlining
here: http://git.gnome.org/browse/glib/tree/glib/gstring.h?h=glib-2-12.  (BTW,
thanks for the link Steve; my fault for not looking more closely at the sources.)

> Not sure what's going on there.  Reinstall glib2?  Forcibly undef
> G_CAN_INLINE (as an experiment at least)?

Steve did suggest getting the sources and even building GLib with debug symbols
and installing that, so I was thinking of doing that next, but since #undef
G_CAN_INLINE was easier to try, that's just what I did, and it worked (sort of).
 While all those Glib-CRITICAL's are now gone, running "wireshark -r
<capturefile>" now causes a segmentation fault.  For what it's worth, here's the
backtrace:

[Switching to Thread 46912556554032 (LWP 14097)]
0x0000003e1944e479 in g_utf8_find_prev_char () from /lib64/libglib-2.0.so.0
(gdb) bt
#0  0x0000003e1944e479 in g_utf8_find_prev_char () from /lib64/libglib-2.0.so.0
#1  0x0000003e194322aa in g_markup_parse_context_parse ()
   from /lib64/libglib-2.0.so.0
#2  0x0000003e1c2275f6 in gtk_ui_manager_remove_ui ()
   from /usr/lib64/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
#3  0x0000000000451f9a in main_menu_new (table=0x7fffb2c69eb0) at menus.c:3794
#4  0x000000000044b3a3 in main (argc=0, argv=0x7fffb2c6a020) at main.c:3615
(gdb)

So this system seems pretty well messed up and to fix it up will likely require
reinstalling some stuff, possibly glib.  I did run rpm --verify on the glib
packages (and pretty much every installed package), and as for glib, the only
file that came up as being different (md5 mismatch) was the glibconfig.h file
that I modified to forcibly #undef G_CAN_INLINE for the previous test.

Regardless of how this turns out, I just wanted to thank Jaap, Stephen and Jeff
for trying to help me work through these issues.