Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] .so and .la files

From: Brian Oleksa <oleksab@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2010 14:14:01 -0400
 Eloy

No problem.

I removed the .la file and the dissector still seams to work just fine.

I am going to deploy it without the .la file.

Unless somebody else says differently.

Thanks,
Brian

On 10/5/2010 2:04 PM, Eloy Paris wrote:
On 10/05/2010 01:57 PM, Eloy Paris wrote:

[...]

Current Wireshark 1.4.x packages in the Debian experimental distribution
do not ship the .la files, and I verified that I can build Network
Expect, an external application that uses libwireshark services, just
fine against the respective -dev packages.

So long story short, yes, the .so is the only thing someone would need,
but if you find otherwise I'd love to hear about it.
Whoops, sorry for replying to myself but I just realized that you're
talking about a plugin, which is something that perhaps is "loaded via
libltdl in a way that requires that meta-information [in the .la file]".
In that case the .la is needed. I guess the best thing to do would be to
test if things work without the .la file...

Cheers,

Eloy Paris.-
netexpect.org