Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Unable to run wireshark, tshark or dumpcap from the build di

From: Chris Maynard <Chris.Maynard@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2010 19:39:36 +0000 (UTC)
Stephen Fisher <steve@...> writes:
> Do you have a different version installed on the system while you're
> trying to run from the build directory?  I've run into problems in the
> past with that.

Yes, an older version was already installed, 1.0.5.  I removed it and did some
minor cleanup and was then able to run tshark from the build directory.  Before
I removed it, libtool showed the libraries linked as those in /usr/local/lib/
rather than in <build_dir>/.libs/, so that definitely was the problem, although
I find it a bit strange that it works during the build process (with 1.4.0 at
least) without having to uninstall the older version.  That happens when "tshark
-G" is run to generate wireshark-filter.pod, as in:

WIRESHARK_RUN_FROM_BUILD_DIRECTORY=1 ../tshark -G fields | \
        /usr/bin/perl ./dfilter2pod.pl ./wireshark-filter.pod.template >
wireshark-filter.pod

Anyway, thanks for your help on this one.  One problem solved.  Now to try to
figure out why I'm getting 23145 occurrences of the following GLib error when I
try to run tshark:

(process:19019): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_string_insert_c: assertion `pos <= string->
len' failed

I've been seeing these errors for a long time now on this system (which is why
it was still running 1.0.5), but I hadn't dug deep enough yet to try to figure
out why and how to eliminate them.  Any ideas on tracking this one down too
would be greatly appreciated.  Is it possibly a glib version problem?  This
system is running with glib2-2.12.3-2.fc6.  I can't seem to find where the
minimum glib version requirement for wireshark is mentioned.