Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] GUIManger in menus.c

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2010 10:43:42 -0400
Anders Broman wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: wireshark-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:wireshark-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Guy Harris
Sent: den 1 oktober 2010 02:30
To: Developer support list for Wireshark
Subject: Re: [Wireshark-dev] GUIManger in menus.c

On Sep 30, 2010, at 3:29 PM, Jeff Morriss wrote:

Anders Broman wrote:
 Hi,
When using GUIManager for the main menu bar, it blows up loading a file. Could some one take a look and help me figure out what's wrong? The recent file stuff is also broken - probably related.
It's bailing out here:

ERROR:column-utils.c:1175:col_set_cls_time: code should not be reached

That means timestamp_set_type() has not been called.

When we're not using GUIManager, that function is called (during
startup) in timestamp_format_cb().

That function is not called during startup when using GUIManager... Hmmm, actually it's not being called at all.
It's called in:

	change_configuration_profile() (after reading the "recent" file, it's set to the value from that file)

	main(), if "-t" is specified;

	reftime_answered_cb() (if you answer "yes" to "Do you want to switch to "Seconds Since Beginning of Capture" now?")

	timestamp_format_cb() (when you explicitly set it through the GUI)

change_configuration_profile() is called only in profile_select() and select_profile_cb(), when you choose a profile.

The reason why it doesn't start out as TS_RELATIVE in Wireshark is, to quote the comment:

	so that "recent" in gtk/menu.c can detect this and distinguish it from a command line value

That refers to menu_recent_read_finished(), which sets recent.gui_time_format to the current time stamp value if >it's not TS_NOT_SET, i.e., if it was set on the command line, that setting overrides whatever is in the recent file.

Is there some reason not to read the recent file *before* parsing the command-line arguments, so that we can just have the time stamp format initialized to TS_RELATIVE, override it from the recent file, and then possibly >override *that* from the command line?

I have checked in some changes to menus.c, - earlier read of prefs is still a good idea -
It still crashes, but I don't get a decent indication of where - help?

Try 34310. It looks like you fixed the timestamp issue--can load a capture file now. :-)

(You should get a Linux VM or something--gdb and backtraces are your friend!)