Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Virtual WireShark appliance

From: john s wolter <johnswolter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 16:44:52 -0400
Sake and Marco,

....but the idea is to have a software only virtual appliance that could be loaded on the likes of any Cloud service like Amazon's EC2 or HP's or IBM's virtual Cloud machines.  Doing EC2 for example, you would have a minimal LINUX core setup virtual appliance.

Here's the virtual instance page of EC2 ... scroll down and read through the page...

WireShark would be very useful in the EC2 environment.  You can use EC2 to build working applications of 100's of virtual machines.  Use it for example to prototype a web service.  Use it to extend your own server environment for rushes like the release of a new popular song.

There is room here for a Xen environment as well.  I'm checking my resources about Xen now.  It has a hardware assignment ability but also a virtual NIC's as well.

If WireShark does not have virtual NIC monitoring abilities, add that as well.

Just imagine how working in the Cloud will change everything.  WireShark needs to have a full set of Cloud features.

John S. Wolter

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 3:47 PM, Marco van den Bovenkamp <marco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 20-9-2010 21:34, Sake Blok wrote:

> wireshark installed, ready to deploy). The problem is how to get
> packets to the virtual appliance. Most virtual switches that come
> with the virtualization environment just don't do port mirroring and
> such (please correct me if I'm wrong here nowadays).

Cisco's Nexus 1000V can do (ER)SPAN.

               Regards,

                       Marco.