Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] independent dissection of plug-ins

Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 11:44:24 +0530

Hello,

I am trying to dissect plug-ins in Wireshark independently without its complete stack.

For example, if my plug-In is sitting in the following way

Ethernet

Internet Protocol

UDP or SCTP
MY-plug-in

This is the usual way how Wireshark decodes my plug-in, now I tried to decode my plug-in directly without its stack and succeeded by

Defining My-plug-in as DLT=147 in Wireshark -> Preferences -> DLT_USER -> Edit window and also making some code changes in my-plug-in.

But, when I try to decode more than one  my-plug-ins, with same DLT (DLT=147), I couldn’t able decode multiple plug-ins like that, but I can able to define them under same DLT.

Is It that one pcap file only supports only one DLT? If yes what is the best way to meet my requirement? I want to decode multiple plug-ins in the same pcap file (without decoding the plug-ins complete stack)

Regards,

Upendra

www.wipro.com