Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] fragment_add_..(), pinfo->src/dst, IP vs. TCP Session

From: Bill Meier <wmeier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2010 11:10:40 -0400
David Aggeler wrote:

Roughly, DICOM has one TCP session for commands and one for data.

Now fragment_add_seq_next() does not seem to keep different TCP sessions apart, and solely looks for pinfo->src/dst, which I think are supposed to represent the IP addresses. But this screws up the reassembly.

Any precondition I missed? Do I need to add a new functions to the reassemble module or somehow seqeeze srcport/dstport into the ID?

Two comments:

1. fragment_add_seq_next and similar take an "id" argument which is supposed to be unique for each/any "currently in progress" reassemblies. (My impression is that the id does not need to be unique for each separate reassembly).

For example: One dissector uses a "conversation sequence number" as the id; TCP uses "assembly first frame number".

My sense is that not all dissectors specify the "id" properly. I've had an item on my ToDo list for a while to dig deeper.

(Looking at various dissectors which use fragment_add_seq_next may be of help).

2. For TCP it's usually simpler to use tcp_dissect_pdus() for reassembly. All the details are handled for you.
See doc/README.developer section 2.7.1