Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] dumpcap memory usage during 802.11 capture

From: David Seares <dave@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 12:16:02 +0100
Hi,

Probably a stupid question about dumpcaps memory usage.

I am trying to capture packets over a long period of time, splitting captures over multiple files each 5 minutes.

I noticed that after just 12 hours of capturing the memory usage (vmem) of dumpcap had reached 8GB.

Is this expected?

Assuming that this value is going up this would surely crash my computer in the end.

One thing to note is that I am capturing IEEE802.11 traffic using the unencryption feature of the packet dissector, could this cause this sort of memory usage?

--
Regards,
David Seares