Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Creating a Wireshark installer with my dissector in it

From: Ed Beroset <beroset@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 14:04:16 -0400 (EDT)
Brian Oleksa <oleksab@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>When I create my installer...my plugin is included...so everything
>installs and looks right.
>But when I go to start up wireshark, I get the following error:
>
>C:\Program Files\Wireshark\wireshark.exe

I infer from this that we're talking about Windows.

>This application has failed to start because the application
>configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix the
>problem.
>
>I tried to reinstall... but that did not help.
>
>There is no error that is pointing me to a specific file... so where
>would I start at..??

Ah, the joys of Windows programming.  One place to look is the system event logs.  Open the Event Viewer and you'll be able to find out from there what particularly it is looking for (and not finding.)  One reason for such an error is that you're not using the redistributable that matches your particular compiler.  When I had this issue, I was using the redistributable without SP1, but it turns out I needed to include the redistributable *with* SP1.  See http://www.wireshark.org/docs/wsdg_html_chunked/ChToolsMSChain.html for lots more details.

Ed