Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] URL not working (Was: [Wireshark-commits] rev 32995)

From: "Maynard, Chris" <Christopher.Maynard@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 13:42:56 -0400
But doesn't that just get you Inacon's modified Wireshark sources, not the protocol help itself?  I thought the protocol_help.tar.gz was so you could install the help on the local machine?

I have some other comments about this ...

1) Assuming the protocol_help.tar.gz is still available, should it be posted to http://anonsvn.wireshark.org/wireshark-win32-libs/tags/<date>/packages and be downloaded as part of the setup?

2) At the very least, should a default .ini be provided with Wireshark sources and changes made to wireshark.nsi, etc., so that it gets installed automatically if it's not already present?  I would prefer this for my users instead of asking them to manually create the protocol_help directory and populate it with a .ini.  (Actually, same goes for the GeoIP stuff.)

3) I downloaded their source and created a protocol_help directory and populated it with their ph.ini file, then tried it out.  The first protocol I tried to get help on was LCP.  It brought me here: http://www.inacon.de/ph/dataLCP/LCP-Overview_DG_RFC-1661.html, which didn't work, when it should have brought me here: http://www.inacon.de/ph/data/LCP/LCP-Overview_DG_RFC-1661.html.  (Note the missing path separator).

4) Now suppose I want to use Inacon's help (which is quite nice by the way) for most protocol help that they provide for free; yet I still want help for other protocols that they don't provide for free, perhaps from a different site such as Wikipedia, networksorcery, etc.  Is there a way that you could have multiple .ini's and each one could be tried in a specific order until a valid help page is reached or the list of .ini's is exhausted?  For example, Inacon doesn't provide free help on IGMP, but both Wikipedia and network sorcery do, albeit not as nicely as Inacon would, I'm sure.  Still, it would be better than nothing.  So the idea would be that getting an "Access Denied" (or "Page not found") from something like http://www.inacon.de/ph/data/IGMP/index.php might cause the help request to redirect to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IGMP, or http://www.networksorcery.com/enp/protocol/igmp.htm, or maybe even http://wiki.wireshark.org/IGMP or whichever other site you prefer.

Thanks.
- Chris