Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Sub_dissectors assertion failed

From: Scott <theerickson@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 18:58:17 -0600
Devs,

This post pertains to two (probably) interrelated things.

If I am writing a dissector for a protocol that rides on top of IP but then allows any protocol to follow it, how do I register them all correctly with my dissector?  I see that IP does this by enumerating protocol numbers in ipproto.h and then having dissectors call:
dissector_add("ip.proto", IP_PROTO_.., .._handle);

but think it would be overkill to do exactly the same thing in my case.
Also, besides all the pre-defined protocols I also tried registering a custom dissector with it and got this:

ERROR:packet.c:709:dissector_add: assertion failed: (sub_dissectors)

Help will be appreciated.
-Scott