Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Dissector Recognition

From: Scott <theerickson@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 14:43:10 -0600
Ah!  That's what I was looking for.  It shows up now.  Thanks Bill!

Scott

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 1:21 PM, Bill Meier <wmeier@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Scott wrote:
> Devs,
>
> How does Wireshark know which dissector(s) to call while dissecting a
> packet?  I've written a dissector for a protocol in development which
> consists of a shim inserted into every packet on the network.  Our code
> correctly updates checksums and sets IP's "Protocol" field to an identifier
> for our protocol.  I am compiling the dissector directly into source instead
> of as a plugin.  After compilation the dissector correctly shows up in the
> list of dissectors from within Wireshark, but it has yet to correctly
> dissect anything in the packet view.
>
> I put printf's into the register and dissect functions to see if they were
> really being called, but I don't see the results from that and only half
> expected to anyway.
> I also thought that maybe Wireshark knows which dissector to call by the
> identifier IP lists in the "Protocol" field, but if it does, I don't know
> where in my dissector code that ID should go.
> I believe I correctly add items to the protocol tree.

So: your protocol rides over IP ?

If so, you need code in your dissector like that in packet-tcp.c
proto_reg_handoff_tcp..

{
    dissector_handle_t tcp_handle;

    tcp_handle = create_dissector_handle(dissect_tcp, proto_tcp);
    dissector_add("ip.proto", IP_PROTO_TCP, tcp_handle);

}

Do you have a reg_handoff function ???