Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Compiling a Dissector

From: wsgd <wsgd@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 18:42:02 +0200
Try to install on target computer :
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=200b2fd9-ae1a-4a14-984d-389c36f85647&displaylang=en
or (if your VS2005 is not SP1)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=32bc1bee-a3f9-4c13-9c99-220b62a191ee&displaylang=en

Or build with VS2008 (because wireshark 1.2.X is build with VS2008)

Olivier

Jonathan Walker a �crit :
Thanks for the reply, Stephen (and Jaap).

The reason I was asking is because I recently developed a dissector that would successfully compile, provided the necessary wireshark libraries.  However, it would only load in Wireshark on machines with VS2005 installed (which is the version of VS I used to build the Wireshark source, and the dissector if it uses the lib as provided in config.nmake (?) ).  I have been wondering why a dissector requires libraries from a specific VS in the first place?  It doesn't seem necessary.  Then again, I probably don't have as deep an understanding of the source as the developers.  Or, maybe it's just an issue with compatibility between different Microsoft VS versions?

Thanks,
J. Walker