Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Wireshark 1.4 & Cmake status

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 10:11:54 -0400
Joerg Mayer wrote:
On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 03:00:35AM +0100, Jose Pedro Oliveira wrote:
Will we be able to build Wireshark 1.4 using Cmake from its
source tarball? I'm asking this because the CMake files
are available in the svn trunk but are not being shipped in
the current developer [1] or buildbot [2] tarballs.

Well, most of the elementary stuff builds and installs on my system but
I don't regard it being release quality:
- The lua-plugin doesn't build (it did at some point in time, but later
  code changes broke this and I failed to fix it within a 2 hour timeframe.
- It should work on current Linux systems
- At least GTK2, GLIB2 and Kerberos detection need more work.
- Install works, but packaging (deb, rpm, ...) and source packaging don't.
- The docbook stuff is horrible and needs to be (at least partially) redone.
- Non-Linux Unix'ish OSses might or might not work - tests and reports
  always welcome.
- Windows is out of the scope of what *I* can support right now, as I lack
  Windows, a build-environment and the knowledge for it.

That said, compiling and installing *should* work and if it doesn't I'm
interested in bugreports!

Should we ship all the Cmake stuff in the tarballs so more people can play with it (e.g., those without SVN access), even if it's not "release quality?"