Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Dissector skipping packets

From: Stephen Fisher <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 May 2010 00:02:03 -0600
On Tue, May 04, 2010 at 10:45:38PM -0700, Craig Bumpstead wrote:

> example: Packet Type 0
> Trans type

> I'm not sure how to have different paths for decoding of packets. Any
> ideas of the protocol that I should look at for this type of decode?

If every packet contains a packet type (is that what "trans type" is
above?), then you can use a switch() statement after obtaining the
packet type:

- Set a variable to the packet type using tvb_get_guint8 for an 8-bit
integer or tvb_get_ntohX where X is 's' for 16-bit, "24" for 24-bit, 'l'
for 32-bit or "64" for 64-bit unsigned assuming that the integer is in
typical network byte order ("big endian").  There are also functions for
little endian byte order: replace the 'n' after '_' with "le":

    guint8 packet_type;

    packet_type = tvb_get_guint8(tvb, 0);

- Use #define statements to make associate packet type names with the
integers they are designated by for easier code reading (for example):

    #define AUTH_REQUEST 0
    #define AUTH_REPLY 1

- Use a switch statement:

    switch(packet_type) {
        case AUTH_REQUEST :
            break;

        case AUTH_REPLY :
            break;

        default :
	    ... (state that it is an unknown packet type)
            break;
     }

--
Steve