Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] "consistent" indentation and tabstop=8

From: Bill Meier <wmeier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 12:47:53 -0400
Bill Meier wrote:
Gerald Combs wrote:
Jakub Zawadzki wrote:
On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 10:57:25PM -0400, Bill Meier wrote:
Actually: let me ask a much simpler question:
Do the ex/vi/vim modelines as typically used in Wireshark even work ?
Good question, for me they don't work.
I saw commit and was testing it with :set ts=8,

Anyway if wireshark modelines don't affect my editor settings I'm ok with it :)
Sorry for fuss.
What do the following say?

    verbose set modeline?
    verbose set modelines?

It's possible that modelines are either disabled by default or don't
reach the modeline statement.

I checked that:

On the Ubuntu system, I had to add a 'set modeline' to .vimrc but even then the vim modeline in a test file worked only after changing the line as described previously.

Gerald:

PS: if it turns out that the modeline generator needs a tweak fot vim modelines I suggest adding the vim option smarttab so that using the tab key will indent by shiftwidth.

(I'm not a vim user but this sounds like the right option based upon the documentation).

Bill