Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Wireshark-commits] rev 32594: /trunk/ /trunk/: capinfos.c

From: Bill Meier <wmeier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 11:17:16 -0400
sfisher@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
http://anonsvn.wireshark.org/viewvc/viewvc.cgi?view=rev&revision=32594

User: sfisher
Date: 2010/04/28 11:30 PM

Log:
 Add snaplen to capinfos output.  Idea from Chris Maynard on -dev.

Steve:

A note:

At least one capture format ("NA Sniffer (Windows) 2.0" handled in netxray.c) doesn't provide a 'snaplen' in the file header. However the record header has a 'caplen' as well as an 'original length'.

This may be true for other formats as well.

A comment:

Since capinfos does read through the complete capture file (process_cap_file) to gather certain information, I think a test in that code can be used to determine the actual snaplen (phdr->caplen) for the file (if the snaplen is not in the file header).

snaplen = phdr->caplen if ((phdr->len - phdr->caplen) > 0)

I would expect that for any particular file there would only be one value for snaplen. If there are multiple snaplens capinfos could just show the range.

What do you think ?

If the above seems reasonable I can make the change if you like.

Bill