Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Having the buildbot build Wireshark 64-bit for Mac OS X (was

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 13:27:25 -0700
On Apr 27, 2010, at 1:20 PM, Michael Tüxen wrote:

> The intel and ppc buildbots currently run Leopard and build 32-bit
> applications.
>
> I can update the intel buildbot to SnowLeopard and rebuild the required
> libs. Then we would have a 64-bit version.

...which probably wouldn't, by default, work on Leopard no matter what, given that some of the X11 libraries keep changing their version number in ways that break backwards compatibility (if you build on 10.6.x, you may end up with something that doesn't work on 10.6.y if y < x).

If we built against the 10.5 SDK, rather than the installed headers and libraries in /usr/include and /usr/lib, we could get something that worked on 10.5.x and 10.6.y for most if not all values of x and y.

However, the x86-64 version wouldn't work on Core Solo or Core Duo machines, so we'd have to either

	1) say "64-bit only";

	2) offer both 32-bit x86 and x86-64 versions (and, if we're really ambitious, PPC and PPC64 versions);

	3) lipo the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the binaries - and the support libraries - together.