Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Menu option to create capture filter from packet header.

From: Stephen Fisher <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 16:20:12 -0600
On Thu, Apr 01, 2010 at 12:42:10PM -0400, Benjamin Lovell wrote:

> If you could create a capture filter in similar way this would be a
> significant improvement for your average user who is not adept at
> writing capture filters by hand.

I agree.  I thought there had been an enhancement bug floating around
for a while now requesting this, but I can't find it after a quick
search.

The capture filter syntax is defined by libpcap/WinPcap, so Wireshark
would have to run a function from there to verify that the filter's
syntax is correct, which shouldn't be too big of a deal.  It's just that
no one has had the energy, initiative and time to do this so far.

Unless someone else can find an existing enhancement request for this,
you should probably file one at https://bugs.wireshark.org so we don't
forget about it.

--
Steve