Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Packet colorization

From: Ari Yoskovitz <ariyosko@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 01:12:06 +0300
Hi!

I am writing a dissector for this protocol I am working with. I will just refer to it as "my protocol".
I can't seem to find ways to control packet colorization programatically, from within the dissector's code (int contrast to changing it manually from Wireshark's menus).

Two issues came up:
1) I want to control my packets' color, and give a different color to packets, depending on it's direction  (for example, two kinds of blue).
2) I noticed that generally in Wireshark, the last activated dissector sets the rules for the packet's color, text (source and destination addresses fro example), etc.
    Now, for some reason that's not always true fro my protocol. My protocol is used to carry Ethernet packet, which in turn carries higher level protocols. How can I make sure the dissectors of these protocols "take over", coloring the packets and setting the appropriate text? On the other hand, how can I willingly disable this "take over", leaving my own dissector's settings dominant?

Thanks!

--
Use the source, Luke!