Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Modifying Makefile to include new tap

From: Shawn Mayer <mayer_sr@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 22:17:00 -0400
My tap doesn't have a GUI, just prints some things out right now for testing, so I put it in the TSHARK_TAP_SRC list and it seems to be ok. Thanks.

On 4/12/2010 10:09 PM, Guy Harris wrote:
On Apr 12, 2010, at 5:15 PM, Shawn Mayer wrote:

Wireshark's Makefile is well beyond anything I've ever edited,
Wireshark's Makefile is well beyond anything most people have ever edited, as it's generated by two levels of software; automake turns Makefile.am, and whatever it includes, to Makefile.in, and the configure script turns Makefile.in to Makefile.  Editing Makefile itself is not recommended.

so how would I add a tap to it?
If you don't have automake, you can't do the best thing, which is to edit the appropriate Makefile.common; in that case:

	If the tap has no GUI (such as a TShark-only tap), edit the top-level Makefile.in and add it to the TSHARK_TAP_SRC list.

	If the tap has a GUI (a Wireshark-only tap), edit gtk/Makefile.in and add it to the WIRESHARK_TAP_SRC list.

Then re-run the configure script (it *might* rerun the configure script for you if you do a make, but I'm not sure).

If you *do* have automake (and autoconf and libtool) installed:

	If the tap has no GUI (such as a TShark-only tap), edit the top-level Makefile.common and add it to the TSHARK_TAP_SRC list.

	If the tap has a GUI (a Wireshark-only tap), edit gtk/Makefile.common and add it to the WIRESHARK_TAP_SRC list.

Then, if you haven't already run ./autogen.sh, do that, and then run the configure script.  Otherwise, just running make should suffice.