Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] USB URB hex bytes not shown

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 00:33:29 -0700
On Apr 8, 2010, at 12:59 PM, Maynard, Chris wrote:

> But in this case, wiretap isn't supplying any new information as far as I can tell.  To me, it looks like the only differences between what is displayed in the "packet details" pane and the content available in the pcap_usb_header structure are that the two time fields, ts_sec and ts_usec have been removed, and that the pcap_usb_setup isn't displayed or appears to be incorrectly displayed.

Yes, but none of that contradicts what I said before, so I'm not sure why "But" is the first word there.

There are two issues here:

	1) What about the Wireshark code path causes it to do what it's doing?

	2) Should it be doing that?

I've mainly been addressing issue 1); what I've said about issue 2) was largely stuff such as

> Whether that's a *good* reason is another matter.

and

> Again, whether that's the right thing to do is another matter.

so I'm *not* defending Wireshark's current behavior, I'm just noting that it *is* the current behavior.