Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] USB URB hex bytes not shown

From: "Maynard, Chris" <Christopher.Maynard@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 15:59:48 -0400
But in this case, wiretap isn't supplying any new information as far as I can tell.  To me, it looks like the only differences between what is displayed in the "packet details" pane and the content available in the pcap_usb_header structure are that the two time fields, ts_sec and ts_usec have been removed, and that the pcap_usb_setup isn't displayed or appears to be incorrectly displayed.

So, is there any real reason to remove those two time fields?  Presumably if they were simply left in and displayed like all the other fields, then wiretap wouldn't have to treat the pseudo header any different for DLT_USB_LINUX.

Here's the raw data as shown by hexdump:
hexdump -C  usburbex.pcap
00000000  d4 c3 b2 a1 02 00 04 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  |................|
00000010  00 10 00 00 bd 00 00 00  65 62 b6 4b 10 14 0c 00  |........eb.K....|
00000020  30 00 00 00 30 00 00 00  40 ab ea 25 00 81 ff ff  |0...0...@..%....|
00000030  43 03 02 02 06 00 2d 3e  65 62 b6 4b 00 00 00 00  |C.....->eb.K....|
00000040  10 14 0c 00 00 00 00 00  1d 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  |................|
00000050  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00                           |........|
00000058

And here's the comparison of pcap_usb_header fields vs. what Wireshark displays:

pcap_usb_header fields       Wireshark displays in "packet details" pane
u_int64_t id                 URB id: 0xffff810025eaab40
u_int8_t event_type          URB type: URB_COMPLETE ('C')
u_int8_t transfer_type       URB transfer type: URB_BULK out (0x03)
u_int8_t endpoint_number     Endpoint: 0x02
u_int8_t device_address      Device: 2
u_int16_t bus_id             URB bus id: 6
char setup_flag              Device setup request: not present ('-')
char data_flag               Data: not present ('>')
int64_t ts_sec               ===> Not displayed <===
int32_t ts_usec              ===> Not displayed <===
int32_t status               URB status: Success (0)
u_int32_t urb_len            URB length [bytes]: 29
u_int32_t data_len           Data length [bytes]: 0

                              ===> Displayed incorrectly <===
pcap_usb_setup setup         [bInterfaceClass: Unknown (0xffff)]
  u_int8_t bmRequestType
  u_int8_t bRequest
  u_int16_t wValue
  u_int16_t wIndex
  u_int16_t wLength

And of course the "packet bytes" pane only displays the following, which happens to be the real pcap_usb_setup data, but is not very obvious since the other bytes are missing.  In fact, it's downright confusing:
0000 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00                               ........

How that last part for pcap_usb_setup is displayed appears to be a bug (isn't it?) because not only is there no "bInterfaceClass" field in the pcap_usb_setup structure, the data of 0xffff is just wrong.  Or is that the part being added by wiretap for some reason?  If it is, I can't figure out why or why the rest of the pcap_usb_setup data isn't being displayed in the "packet details" pane at all.

I don't know, I can't figure out what value wiretap brings by monkeying with the pcap_usb_header data.  And even if it does do some monkeying, I still can't understand why the original raw bytes can't be shown.  As another example/comparison, if I run "tcpdump -r urbusbex.pcap -XX", I get:
reading from file usburbex.pcap, link-type USB_LINUX (USB with Linux header)
17:32:21.791568 BULK COMPLETE from 6:2:2
        0x0000:  40ab ea25 0081 ffff 4303 0202 0600 2d3e  @..%....C.....->
        0x0010:  6562 b64b 0000 0000 1014 0c00 0000 0000  eb.K............
        0x0020:  1d00 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000  ................

These are the 48 bytes I would expect to see in Wireshark's "packet bytes" pane.
- Chris
P.S. As always, thanks Guy for your insights ... and your patience as I struggle to understand what is going on here & why.