Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] proto_tree_get_parent()

From: "Maynard, Chris" <Christopher.Maynard@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 10:21:01 -0400
I still don't get it.  Compare proto_item_get_parent() with proto_tree_get_parent():

proto_item*
proto_item_get_parent(proto_item *ti) {
        if (!ti)
                return (NULL);
        return ti->parent;
}

proto_item*
proto_tree_get_parent(proto_tree *tree) {
        if (!tree)
                return (NULL);
        return (proto_item*) tree;
}

The former returns a pointer to the parent whereas the latter simply casts the tree to an item.  If a cast is all that's needed, then that can be very easily accomplished without a confusing and misleading function call.

- Chris