Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] plugin

From: Aniruddha A <aniruddha.a@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 12:44:00 +0530
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 09:38:55 +0200

> From: "Bongani Fana" <bfana@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [Wireshark-dev] plugin
> To: <wireshark-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Hi,
> My nane is Bongani, I'm working as an Intern for this big company. I'm using wireshark to dissect netwok packets, since I don't have much experience I started to search for any example that might help me to write my first plugin/dissector. after I come across AMIN (http://www.codeproject.com/KB/IP/custom_dissector.aspx ( http://www.codeproject.com/KB/IP/custom_dissector.aspx )) Plugin I thought its some thing that I can use as guide, after I successfully installed and compile wireshark I started to write AMIN plugin following instructions on the link above. my problem is that when I run wireshark I don't see any amin packets being captured on GUI while at the bottom of wireshark window I could see that the is something taking place. so please can some one tell me what am I doing wrong.
> Thank,
>
> Bongani
>
> --
> This message is subject to the CSIR's copyright terms and conditions, e-mail legal notice, and implemented Open Document Format (ODF) standard.
> The full disclaimer details can be found at http://www.csir.co.za/disclaimer.html.
>
> This message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous content by MailScanner,
> and is believed to be clean.  MailScanner thanks Transtec Computers for their support.

Hi Bongani,

I used the same link initially, its good to start, you can read the
Wireshark Dev guide which explains dissection in more detail here:
http://www.wireshark.org/docs/wsdg_html_chunked/ChDissectAdd.html
and compare with the code you have to see whats wrong.

P.S. Do you have a pcap file with AMIN packets or you are capturing
on an interface where AMIN packets traverse?

--
Ani