Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Packet Size limited during capture message
From: Bill Meier <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 22:59:26 -0400
Brian Oleksa wrote:
Bill

Can you collaborate on this a little more..??

Do I want to pass in my .pcap file as the <infile> to which I am having problems with..??
And I am assuming that you want me to pass in the "ballpark" number (or
a range) to where I think the crash occurs.
I can load about 70% of the file...which is right around frame # 16813.....

For example: C:\wireshark\editcap test.pcap -r 16813-20000 is this what you do..??
Thanks,
Brian

Yes:  Of course you also need to specify an <outfile>

editcap -r in.pcap out.pcap 16800-20000
tshark -nVxr out.pcap >foo.txt (crash)
editcap -r in.pcap out.pcap 18000-20000
tshark -nVxr out.pcap >foo.txt (no crash:
  ... so: bad frame(s) must be between 16800-17999
editcap -r in.pcap out.pcap 16800-17000

The process is a bit tedious and not necessarily worth the effort.
Also: sometimes multiple frames are needed.

Just using a debugger on the original file and seeing where the crash occurs may be all that is needed.