Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Packet Size limited during capture message

From: Brian Oleksa <oleksab@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 22:37:13 -0400
Bill

Can you collaborate on this a little more..??

Do I want to pass in my .pcap file as the <infile> to which I am having problems with..??

And I am assuming that you want me to pass in the "ballpark" number (or a range) to where I think the crash occurs.

I can load about 70% of the file...which is right around frame # 16813.....

For example: C:\wireshark\editcap test.pcap -r 16813-20000 is this what you do..??

Thanks,
Brian

Bill Meier wrote:
Brian Oleksa wrote:
Guy

The 70% that I can load has a bunch of helen packets in it and every one of the helen packets has the "Packet size limited during capture" message. Even the very first helen packet.

I do not believe that one packet relies on one another. A packet is just a packet.

I will have to use the debugger to dig deeper into this one.

Thanks,
Brian

The standard way I approach this type of situation is to first use
editcap -r m-n (where m & n are frame numbers) repeatedly to extract a portion of the capture file and then see if I get a crash with that portion.

In effect, I do a kind of binary search to get the minimum number of frames (hopefully one frame) in the capture file to cause a crash.

(This is easier if the crash occurs with tshark).