Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Packet Size limited during capture message

From: "Maynard, Chris" <Christopher.Maynard@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 14:55:21 -0400
Brian,

The GPL does not extend itself beyond your Wireshark dissector, but whether you release your dissector to be included in Wireshark someday or use it only for your clients, it is still covered under the terms of the GPL.  As far as any Wireshark dissectors are concerned, they are all GPL'd no matter what.  Whatever other software you distribute to your customers has nothing to do with your Wireshark dissector so you are free to use whatever license you want for that, but the Wireshark dissectors must be GPL'd.  I'm not sure you understand this.

BTW, I (and many others I'm sure), are in the same boat as you.  I've written many Wireshark dissectors for my company, none of which have been released outside of my company because the protocols they dissect are all proprietary.  The dissectors are thus used internally only and therefore the source code need not be made available to anyone outside our organization.  This concept is covered in brevity here: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLRequireSourcePostedPublic.  However, that said, the dissectors I've written are still covered under the GPL per http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLModuleLicense.  I do not wish to write my own proprietary protocol analyzer so I happily accept the terms of the GPL.

- Chris